Pennsylvania is full of gorgeous landscapes and parks you can enjoy during your visit. If it’s adventure you’re seeking, then look no further than Kooser State Park! It’s only 30 minutes away from Oak Lodge and offers all the advantages you want out of a day trip destination. Forget all your everyday worries and recharge in nature with the ones you love, hike through the lush forest, fish, hunt, have a delicious picnic in the best scenery possible, and even consider a winter trip! Read on to learn the top three reasons you need to visit Kooser State Park and start planning your visit today.
Before you make your way to the Laurel Highlands, make sure you download our free Vacation Guide! It has all the top recommendations you’ll need for the perfect Pennsylvania getaway. Discover top-notch restaurants, museums, quaint shops, fun events, and fantastic outdoor adventures that include places like Kooser State Park!
The Top 3 Reasons Why Kooser State Park Is Perfect For Your Vacation
1. You Can Rewind in Nature
You know it’s time for a vacation when you feel stuck in your daily life, encumbered by stress and mundane worries. If you are craving adventure away from it all, then Pennsylvania is a top choice for you! It’s only a short trip from Pittsburgh and has all the features you need for a successful getaway in nature. Channel your inner John Muir and discover the breathtaking landscapes of Kooser State Park! It is at the heart of the Laurel Highlands and features 250 acres of pristine forest that welcome hundreds of visitors year-round. Between a lake, several hiking trails and shaded paths along the river, and lovely picnic areas, you’ll find all you need to keep you entertained all day!
Directions and ADA Access
Kooser State Park is on PA 31 between the Donegal and Somerset Turnpike exits. Its entrance is at the foothill of the Laurel Mountain Summit, only 30 minutes away from Oak Lodge! The park is also accessible for people with disabilities. You are more than welcome to contact the park if you need further accommodations!
2. You Can Enjoy the Best of Outdoor Activities
Kooser State Park is not only a great place to relax and reconnect with nature, but it’s also a perfect spot to practice your favorite outdoor activities!
- Hiking: What’s better than a hike to rejuvenate your entire system and let you discover the park? Kooser State Park offers a great 2.3-mile loop trail accessible for most levels, including families! The trip takes about an hour and goes up and down the mountain. Make sure you wear comfortable shoes!
- Hunting: If hunting is one of your hobbies, you’ll be glad to know that you can enjoy it at Kooser State Park. Common game species include deer, turkey, and even black bear! You are invited to follow the rules and regulations of the Pennsylvania Game Commission and be mindful of the other visitors.
- Fishing: Kooser State Park makes a fantastic fishing spot for those who wish to relax on the water and catch some fish! The lake provides plenty of trout, bass, and bluegill. Take a look at this topographic map to prepare for your visit and plan your fishing strategy!
- Skiing and Snowshoeing: If you plan to visit the park in the winter, don’t worry! There are many ways you can enjoy its wonders, even with a warm jacket and snow boots! Cross-country skiing is one of the most popular activities in the cold season. Indeed, the park’s elevation creates the perfect conditions! A 1.5-mile ski trail is set every year and marked with blue diamonds to follow. Check the Pennsylvania’s Winter Report for more information on the weather!
3. Oak Lodge is Only 30 Minutes Away!
Kooser State Park is only 30 minutes away from our gorgeous B&B, so you don’t have to worry about driving for hours to come home! Our accommodations are ideal for a retreat in nature, whether you’re alone, with your significant other, or with your family. Discover our unique property nestled at the heart of the forest and the rolling hills of the Laurel Highlands. It’s the perfect place to get away for the weekend!